Sunday, March 29, 2015

Meet Your Neighbor - Susan Levenson

The first time I met Susan she was dressed as a fish at a Chamber of Commerce coffee connection. 
She is passionate about natural resources in San Leandro. I caught up with Susan at the Friends of San Leandro Creek Watershed Festival at Root Park.

Who are you and what do you do?

I am Susan Levenson and I am the Watershed Awareness Coordinator for friends of San Leandro Creek

What do you love about San Leandro?

Oh my gosh!  This is my home town, I grew up a block away, played in that creek when I was a kid.  What's not to love, it's a great community.  My mom still lives here.

Tell me more about friends of San Leandro Creek

Friends of San Leandro creek is a great organization that help bring up this creek, make it available for the community, make the creek itself healthier. Highlight all this goodness in the middle of an urban area.

What did we find today?

We found a gorgeous 8 inch rainbow trout right below the bridge at Root Park  (the area where the trout was found was drying up). We took it up near Chabot Park where there is riffles and deep pools, tons of insects and we let him out there, so exciting.

What the grand vision for San Leandro Creek?

There are so many things we are working on right now (Susan was called away to MC the raffle).

from their web site  “…is to restore and enhance San Leandro Creek, to increase its potential as a visual and recreational amenity, to preserve its cultural and natural history and to make San Leandro Creek an economically attractive resource, and to promote a healthy environment for its native flora and fauna.”

If someone wants to get involved what do they need to do?

Rainbow trout was found in this small pool
Real simple, look at my website or call my office. www.fslc.org

Words of Wisdom


Search out a little bit of nature, it's all around, even in urban places like this. Sometimes it's such a beautiful surprise like we had today.  We find a native Rainbow trout.


No comments:

Post a Comment