Sunday, March 8, 2015

Meet Your Neighbor - Michael Rojas

 I caught up with Michael Rojas at Triple Play indoor batting cages in San Leandro

Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Michael Rojas, I own the batting cages here, I'm a full time student working 3 jobs, I work here, also as a valet and I work at Fisher Investments in San Mateo.

What do you love about San Leandro?

I have lived here my whole life, the neighborhood I live in is a very tight neighborhood (near Roosevelt Elementary). So my neighbors and the people around we grew up having block parties.  It's just a great place to live, close to everything.  I like playing Basketball on Saturdays at Bancroft.  Tuesdays and Thursdays I get together a group 20 to 25 guys and have a basketball thing. Stay fit a little bit while I'm busy.

I heard you played on some local high school sports team?


I went to Castro Valley high school, I played football, baseball and basketball over there.  Football is kind of my main sport, I was a quarterback .  That was my best sport, but I was more passionate about basketball.  I follow the Warriors a lot, play basketball all the time. Coached basketball for my sister team, wasn't able to coach this year but next year I'm planning on coaching again.

This place (triple play), you love sport, this is the perfect place for you.

I get to watch the Warriors games, it's the perfect place.

Your studying right now?

I am taking a couple of finance classes at East Bay.  I just finished up at Chabot, so now I am transferring over to East Bay.  Investment analysis, marketing, my major is finance. I want to get into sales.  I have overseen a couple of departments.  As a JA  I work for client programs they let you oversee for a day with  the IC's (investment Councilors). Any opportunity I get within that company, I really like working there.

What else do you do around the community?

I have done reading partners at my Mom's school, I worked with the Boys and Girls club for a couple of summers.  I try and be involved with San Leandro.

I hear from your Mother that you have aspirations in San Leandro?

I do want to be the Mayor one day of San Leandro, that is my dream.

Is that something you have thought about since you were young?

Just growing up, I plan on living in San Leandro for the rest of my life, I plan on buying a house, I been looking to buy a house within the next couple of years.  That's one of my goals.  To graduate and buy a house.  I have been saving up.  I really want to stay in San Leandro. It's been one of my dreams, to be Mayor of San Leandro.

Any Parting words?


Be positive, always strive for your goals... and no matter what, even if you might not accomplish them, just stay positive at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment