Monday, August 31, 2015

Meet Your Neighbor - Morgan Mack-Rose



Who are you and what do you do?

I am Morgan Mack- Rose, I am currently the executive director for the San Leandro Education Foundation

What do you love about San Leandro?

We moved here because of the house prices. Then you fall in love with the people, it really is the people the diversity of the community.  I love that it is a small enough town that you can get things done and that local government is responsive. I love that it is not cookie cutter. We have distinct neighborhoods with distinct architecture and I feel like it's really vibrant.

You were on the school board and now on SLED.

I started getting involved in San Leandro schools before my daughter was even in schools. I am a real proponent for public education. What was happening in our neighborhood school is a lot of people were leaving it and we felt the more people that left the school the more disparity that created. So myself and a handful of other families rallied around the school. Then in 2008 I was asked to run for the school board which was a little earlier than I had intended to do, as I had a 2 and 6 year old at the time. I ran and I got on. The  first thing I had to do at my first meeting was cut 2 1/2 million dollars, so I came right when the big economic crisis was hitting our school. For 4 years all we did was cut, cut, cut, which is why I didn't want to run again. I felt like I was doing Sacramento's dirty work. There were discretionary  funds available but there was not much choice or influence. It wasn't supporting youth the way I envisioned supporting youth.

I ran for city council but I did not win, that actually ended up being a good thing, I am finding that the further I get from elected politics the more I fall in love with San Leandro. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the politics, when ultimately it's not about that, it's about the individual relationship.

I had worked with SLED. In 2014 I was brought on as their first executive director. I had worked with them prior when I was on the school board. I really felt fortunate that I was selected for their ED position. I continue to work with people at city hall, people in the schools and in the community. I feel like am in an ideal situation. I feel like what I am doing is really impacting youth in the way that I thought it would if I was on the school board.

Explain a little bit what SLED is. What SLED does and the event they have coming up  next week?

It was founded in 2008 by a group of parents who saw that we were having all these beautiful building built with bond money, at the same time that all these programs were being cut because of economics. Other wealthier communities in the county had education foundations, because they had ED foundations they were able to tap into grant money and corporate money. San Leandro needs that. We  needed an organization that supports all of the schools, not just one or two, not just sports not just music. That supports every kid K through 12 at all 12 school sites. They worked very methodically for a good 6 years before they had enough support to bring on an executive director. Since that time things are shifting, the money is different. What we are finding and how we are realigning ourselves is instead of providing just cash assistance we become a conduit for foundations, businesses and individuals to support schools.

We are finding that is not just about the money, It's also about the people and how to we engage San Leandrians in our schools in a positive way. Ultimately what kids need are caring adults. It takes money to run volunteer programs, we still need to raise money, but we raise money for specific programs.

We have 3 focus areas, Positive youth development which is providing programs that help kids become adults that you want to live next door to, compassionate caring adults. Then we do STEAM enrichment we are supporting hands on learning, technology and science, one thing we did this summer was bring a girls robotics camp for FREE to 30 middle school girls, we also did it for boys. We support outdoor education overnight science field trip for 5th graders. Our big project right now is creating opportunities for volunteers in our school. We will bringing on a volunteer coordinator. The schools don't have the capacity to recruit, manage and acknowledge volunteers. Sometimes people have a negative experience working with our schools. not because they are bad, they are just trying to do so many things. That is the roll we are stepping into, the schools have wanted us to do that for a long time.
One of the fundraiser we do is our Gala. It's a great big party for people who support school to and come out for a good time. People say they forget it's a fundraiser. This year it is on September 11th  at Casa Perleta, its outside. We make it gorgeous, be bring fairy lights and make it into a magical place. We have an amazing band this year that is doing Salsa and soul. I heard the guy singing... we may need chaperones , his voice is so smooth.  Acapulco Restaurant is catering it, Mike Wieners restaurant. It's a great time for people to come out, party and support our schools.

You also have the Eat Out for Education

Now it's every Wednesday at 6 restaurants. People have to have the coupon with them, from our website and facebook page. 20% of your purchase goes to a specific school that week. Businesses are really happy to support which is good. That is one of the great things about San Leandro, I have found that if you ask people,  more often than not they will say yes.

I hear you went to the opening of the 21st amendment, I hear it was very well attended.

I have heard estimates of about 5000 people, about 4000 more than they were expecting. I think that San Leandro is excited to have a another brewery, another place to congregate. I was impressed with the people, even though it was a big beer fest everybody was so well behaved. Everyone was having a good time, being responsible.

It was a family event.  We were able to use about 40 high school volunteers to run face painting, water melon bowling, they had a jumpy house and a slide. We also had about 30 adult volunteers doing ID checks at the door.

Words of Wisdom or Finishing quote?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what makes education important and what makes it good. I have come to the conclusion that every child needs to succeed, when a child succeeds we all succeed. Also education is always better when the community is involved. Community brings a depth to the content and the experience. No matter how good a teacher is the experience can always be better if the community is somehow involved



 Thanks Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment