Sunday, June 28, 2015

Meet Your Neighbor - Roy Childress

Who are you and what do you do?

I am Roy Childress and I am owner of the Englander Sports Pub and Restaurant.

What do you love about San Leandro?

I love the progress that San Leandro is really getting into.  The community, it’s a nice community.  San Leandro is growing; they are putting new buildings up, new businesses, new housing which helps our business of course, and everyone around here.

Very cool.  What I love about the Englander is that you always have a variety of sports games on TV.  You have the Womens World Cup coming up.  Are you getting large crowds in for that?

Yes, the ladie’s games are drawing big crowds.  The women’s USA team brings in a big crowd.  The COPA America has a big crowd and then we have the Gold Cup next month which should be really good for us and all of our patrons that love soccer.

And then there are The Warriors!

Amazing! 

Wow

And you know what was nice about it, there were NO problems at all.  There were no issues at all.  It was wonderful, it really was.  Every seat was taken in the house and it was really good for us.  And of course the Warriors fans were wonderful.

It’s been a long time coming.

It sure was.  40 years.  I was at the first two games back in 1975.  My father actually took me to both of those games.  They actually won in a sweep – 4 games. 

You guys have always supported the community.  How many organizations come in here and use your facility?

Quite a few, I’ve never really counted them.  There is a lot!  The Ski Club, Soroptomist, Rotary, Kiwanis, Book Club, GTO club, MG club, I mean a lot.  They will have usually lunch or dinner.   It’s good for us, it’s good for the community. 

We all appreciate what you do for all of us.

Thank you so much

Do you have any final quote or word of wisdom?

Well, just keep working hard and it will pay off.


That’s good. Thank you Roy

The Englander Website

1 comment:

  1. so, that is his name, Roy. I have been going to that place many times in the past and never knew his name. I have spoken to him too several times.

    ReplyDelete