Monday, January 12, 2015

Meet Your Neighbor - Larry Arnold


Who are you and what do you do? Hi I am Larry Arnold, I opened an upholstery shop in San Leandro some 38 years ago. I do automotive upholstery and I have never worked a day in my life. I love it I can’t believe people pay me. What do you love about San Leandro? Biggest part about San Leandro is the fact that I came from Oakland to come here to go to school years ago. Everyone is accepted in San Leandro, it doesn’t matter if you have a lot of money or a little money. It doesn’t matter. 90% of the people in town are nice. It’s almost like you have found an extended family here no matter who you are. That’s my experience. Any parting words? My grandmother told me this She said “If you can’t help someone, don’t hurt them”

You can find Larry Shop here





Behind his daughters T-shirt factory you will find his shop. His workshop is full of clients vehicles and projects. Larry made me feel at home and was soon regaling me with stories, ideas and thoughts on life.

I first met Larry at a local cub scout meeting.  He was helping out with a band-saw cutting cars for the pinewood derby.
An advocate for shop class and skilled labor, something he feels should not be forgotten in today technology focused society.

He really loves his work, the craftsmanship of a backseat destined for an old BMW was truly breathtaking.


Along with his clients projects he has some wonderful ones of his own.  

Have you have seen the chopped VW panel vans around San Leandro? They are his.  The vans are often used for charity events. 






 I can see where his daughter's get their huge hearts and community spirit from.





One of his current projects is restoring a limo.  A VW bug limo!

Larry is truly one of San Leandro's treasures.




No comments:

Post a Comment